Fellow of the Centre for the Interdisciplinary Study of Religion
Birkbeck College, University of London, UK
Anne Primavesi is a systematic theologian focusing on ecological issues, and a Fellow of the Centre for the Interdisciplinary Study of Religion, Birkbeck College, University of London. She is the author of several books including Cultivating Unity in the Biodiversity of God (2011), Sacred Gaia (2000), Gaia's Gift (2003), and Making God Laugh (2004), as well as dozens of articles in books and scholarly journals. Dr. Primavesi has lectured widely in the British Isles, Europe, Scandinavia, North America and South America.
- Cultivating Unity in the Biodiversity of God, 2011
- Gaia and Climate Change: A Theology of Gift Events, 2008
- Making God Laugh: Human Arrogance and Ecological Humility, 2004
- Gaia's Gift: Earth, Ourselves and God after Copernicus, 2003
- Sacred Gaia: Holistic Theology and Earth System Science, 2000
- From Apocalypse to Genesis: Ecology, Feminism and Christianity, 1991
- Our God Has No Favourites: A Liberation Theology of the Eucharist, co-author with J. Henderson, 1989
- Carysfort Training College, Dublin, 1955-1957. Grade 1 Cert. Ed. in Primary Education 1957
- Diploma in Primary Education, Dublin, 1959
- Bachelor of Divinity Degree (Hons.) London University, 1980
- D. Phil. in Systematic Theology, London University 1987
Articles in Books and Journals
- “Gaia” in Berkshire Encyclopedia of Sustainability, The Spirit of Sustainability, eds. Willis, Whitney Bauman, Berkshire Publishing Company, Great Barrington Mass. (2010) Pp 187-188
- “Transforming the Theological Climate in Response to Climate Change: Jesus and the Mystery of Giving” in Nature, Space and the Sacred: Transdisciplinary Perspectives, eds. Sigurd Bergmann, M.Jansdottir Samuelson, H. Bedford Strohm, Ashgate, Farnham (2009) pp. 19-30
- “Écofeminisme” in Parvis, La lettre d’information des reseaux des parvis, ed. Didier Vanhoutte, Les Reseaux du parvis, Paris (2009) pp. 6-8.
- “Geohistory, Gaia Science and an Ecological Theology” in Creation’s Diversity: Voices from Theology and Science, eds. Willem B. Drees, Hubert Meisinger, Taede A. Smedes, Continuum, London (2008) pp. 15-26
- “The Preoriginal Gift—and Our Response to It” in Ecospirit: Religion, Philosophy and the Earth, eds Laurel Kearns and Catherine Keller, Fordham University Press, New York (2007) pp. 217-232.
- “The Age of Ecology” in The Future of the Christian Tradition: the Jesus Seminar, ed. Robert Millar, Polebridge Press, Santa Rosa (2007) pp. 196-204
- “Can Gaia Forgive Us?” in Earthy Realism: The Meaning of Gaia, ed. Mary Midgley, Imprint Academic, Exeter (2007) pp. 68-74.
- “Ecology” in Blackwell Companion to the Bible and Culture, ed. John Sawyer, Blackwell, Oxford (2006) pp. 432-446.
- “Ecological Awareness: A Meeting of Science and Mysticism” in Ways of Knowing: Science and Mysticism today. ed. Chris Clarke, Imprint Academic (2005) pp. 218-234
- “Ecofeminist Theology” in Cambridge Dictionary of Christianity, ed. Daniel Patte, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge and New York (2005)
- “Gaia” in Encyclopedia of Religion, Second Edition, eds. Lindsay Jones, et al. Macmillan Reference, New York, Vol. 5. (2004) pp. 3253-3255.
- “Ökologische Theologie”, in Religion in Geschichte und Gegenwart, vierte Auflage, eds Hans Dieter Betz, Don. S. Browning, Bernd Janowski, Eberhard Jüngel, J.C.B Mohr, Tübingen, Vol. 6. English edition forthcoming, published by Brill, Leiden. (2003)
- “Made and Remade in the Image of God” in Growing into God, ed. Jean Mayland, Churches Together in Britain and Ireland, London (2003) pp 187-192
- "Ecofeminism" in The Encyclopaedia of Science and Religion, Macmillan, New York (2003).
- "Made and Remade in the Image of God" in Growing into God, ed. Jean Mayland, Churches Together in Britain and Ireland, London (2003) , pp 187-192
- "Ökologische Theologische" in Religion in Geschichte und Gegenwart, vierte Auflage, eds Hans Dieter Betz, Don. S. Browning, Bernd Janowski, Eberhard Jüngel, J.C.B Mohr, Tübingen, Vol. 6. English edition forthcoming, published by Brill, Leiden (2003).
- "The Wisdom of Gaia" in Irish Journal of Feminist Studies, Vol 4, Iss 2, ed. Mary Condren, Cork University Press(2002), pp 16-31.
- "Theology and Earth System Science" in The Field Day Anthology of Irish Writing, Vol. IV, Cork University Press (2002), pp 695-702
- "The Christian Gene" in The Fourth R, Vol. 14, No. 3, May-June 2001, pp 3-8.
- "Ecology and Christian Hierarchy" in Women as Sacred Custodians of the Earth? eds. Alaine Lowe and Soraya Tremayne, Berghahn Books, New York and Oxford (2001), pp 121-141.
- "Theology and Earth Science" in Challenging Women's Orthodoxies in the Context of Faith, ed. Susan Parsons, Ashgate Press (2000).
- "Ecofeminism and Environmental Theology" in A Dictionary of Historical Theology, ed. Trevor Hart, Paternoster Press, Carlisle, Cumbria (2000), pp 169-170; 183-185.
- "Ecology's Appeal to Theology" in The Way, Vol. 40 (2000), Heythrop College, London.
- "Ecology" in Oxford Companion to Christian Thought, ed. Adrian Hastings, Oxford University Press (2000), pp 187-189.
- "The Recovery of Wisdom: Gaia Theory and Environmental Policy" in Spirit of the Environment, eds. David Cooper and Joy Palmer, Routledge, London and New York (1998), pp 73-86.
- "Biodiversity and Responsibility: a Basis for a Nonviolent Environmental Ethic" in Faith and Praxis in a Postmodern Age , ed. Ursula King, Cassell, London and New York (1998), pp 47-60.
- "Earth the Original Ark" in Passion for Critique: Essays in Honour of F. J. Laishley, eds. Herman Browne and Gwen Griffith-Dickson, The Ecumenical Publishing House, Prague (1997), pp 131-151.
- "A Just and Fruitful Creation" in Industrial Mission in a Changing World, ed. Rogerson, J., Sheffield Academic Press, Sheffield (1996), pp 91-102.
- "Accepting Diversity: Healing a Violent World" in Pastoral Theology's and Pastoral Psychology's Contributions to Helping Heal a Violent World, ed. Cordner, M., Dabara Publishers, Surakarta, Indonesia (1996), pp 11-20; 256-258.
- "Ecofeminism" in The A to Z of Feminist Theology, eds. Lisa Isherwood and Dorothea McEwan, Sheffield Academic Press, Sheffield (1996), pp 45-48.
- "Pantheism" in Dictionary of Feminist Theologies, eds. Letty M. Russell and J. Shannon Clarkson, Westminster John Knox Press, Louisville, Kentucky; Mowbrays, London (1996), pp 199- 200.
- "The Spirit of Genesis: Liberation and Environmental Theology" in Upptackter i Kontexten: Teologiska forelasningar till minne av Per Frostin , eds. Sigurd Bergmann, Goran Eidevall, Institutet for Kontextuell Teologi, Lund (1995), pp 98-117.
- "Faith in Creation" in True To This Earth: Global Challenges and Transforming Faith, eds. Alan Race and Roger Williamson, Oneworld Publications, Oxford/Rockport (1995), U.S.A., pp 100-113.
- "Poder jerárquico y poder ecológico" in Del Cielo A La Tierra: Una Antología de Teología Feminista, eds. Ress, M.J; Seibert-Cuadra, U; Sjørup, L., Sello Azul, Santiago (1995), pp 455-481.
- "Primavesi Looking Back to Moltmann: a Reply to J. N. Morris" in Theology in Green, Vol. 4, No. 2, (1994), pp 19-22.
- "A Tide in the Affairs of Women?" in Ecotheology: Voices fron South and North, WCC Publications, Geneva/Orbis Books, New York (1994), pp 186-199; and in Feminist Theology in a European Context, the 1993 Yearbook of European Society of Women in Theological Research, Kok Pharos, Kampen (1993), pp 7-20.
- "A Post-Rio Perspective on Militarism" in Theology in Green, 8, (October 1993), pp 20-26.
- "Gaia and God" in Liberating Women: New Theological Directions, conference papers of the Bristol Conference of European Society of Women in Theological Research, 1991.
- "The Part for the Whole? An Ecofeminist Enquiry" in Theology, special issue on feminist theology, Vol XCIII, 755, Sept 1990.
- "The Witness of the Holy Spirit" in The Ecumenical Review, Vol 41, 4, July 1989.
- "Self-Affirmation and Liberation Theology" in Self-Denial, Self-Affirmation, conference papers of the Helvoirt Conference, European Society of Women in Theological Research, 1987.
- "Reviewing and Realising" in New Blackfriars, Vol 62, 731, May 1981.
- Research Fellow in Environmental Theology, Department of Theology and Religious Studies, University of Bristol, 1995-1997
- Part-time lecturer, Department of Theology and Religious Studies, University of Bristol, 1994-1997
- Associate faculty member, Schumacher College, Devon, 1991-1993.
- Society for the Study of Theology
- European Society for Ecumenical Research
- European Society of Women in Theological Research
- American Academy of Religion
- Science and Religion Forum
- Medical and Scientific Network
- The Gaia Society
- Fellow of the Geological Society
- Fellow of Centre for the Interdisciplinary Study of Religion, Birkbeck College, London University, 2000
- Fellow of Westar Institute, 2002
- Commission on Ecology and Bioethics of the European Ecumenical Women's Forum 1992-1995
- Commission on Environment and Development of the Joint European Bishops' Conference, Geneva. 1993-1996