Christmas Wisdom Notes: Part II

A meditation on the dark night of the soul

By Art Dewey | 12.18.2018

We're going into the archives for a few thoughts on Advent and Christmas. In Part I, Art reflects on what it means to wait in darkness, in expectation, in the midst of worldly horrors. Part II features thoughts on the darkest part of the year - both literally and spiritually.

Wisdom Notes: Part II

(To purchase the full "Wisdom Notes" book of reflections, click here.)

1. Thomas M. Scott says:

Arthur, Thank for your your words . . . Some many days ago now, I came to believe and still do so believe that what we, as human beings, perceive as “darkness”, is, in actuality, a “form of light” . . . A form of light that we, in our development at this point, simply cannot perceive that same darkness, as light!!! To me, you allude to this toward the very end of your notes when you reference “dark matter” and “dark energy” . . . There is an ancient Egyptian expression . . . To give a very artificial transliteration of that expression, it is: ntt/iwtt . . . “Ntt” when translated into English can be rendered “that which is”. . . “iwtt” can be translated into English as “that which is not” . . . Since becoming aware of this ancient Egyptian expression, studying Egyptian hieroglyphs, as a doctoral student in “Christian Origins” during the period 1973-1979, I came to believe that ntt/iwtt” is simply an ancient Egyptian circumlocution (“that which is: and “that which is not”) which refers to “everything” . . . I also came to believe that “ntt” refers to “kinetic energy” and that “iwtt” refers to “potential energy”; two, as I understand it, very important concepts in contemporary physics, for some decades now . . .

2. djehutyanechwpc says:

Arthur, I just crafted a response to your post and somehow, when I tried to post it, the response “disappeared” into “dark matter” I suppose . . . Even so, I will attempt to re-craft my comment . . .

Many years ago now, 1973 to 1979, as a doctoral student in what I now call simply “Christian Origins”, as opposed to the more traditional “New Testament and Christians”, while studying ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs”, I stumbled upon an ancient Egyptian exercise sentence which contained an expression . . . The following is a very artificial transliteration of that expression: “ntt/iwtt” . . .This expression can be translated into English as “that which is” (ntt) and “that which is not” (iwtt) . . . All those years ago, I came to understand that ancient Egyptian expression as a circumlocution for referencing “everything” . . . I also came to believe that “ntt” can be understood as referring to “kinetic energy” and that its counterpart, “iwtt” can be understood as referring to “potential energy” . . . Thus, this ancient Egyptian circumlocution seems to reference two very important concepts that are very important in modern physics, for some decades . . . Thomas M. Scott

• Alexis Waggoner says:

Thanks Thomas – we got both your comments. I’ll pass them on to Art. Thanks so much for engaging and thinking critically about these things!!

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] into the archives for a few thoughts on Advent and Christmas. You can find the previous two takes here and […]

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

characters available

As Marketing and Digital Education Director, Alexis Waggoner works closely with both Westar’s Marketing Committee and the Executive Director to advance the presence and value of Westar in our culture through social media and the use of digital media in public education. Alexis brings to Westar a unique blend of digital marketing and religious education experience. She has a Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism and a Master of Divinity degree from Union Theological Seminary.

1. Thomas M. Scott says:

2. djehutyanechwpc says:

• Alexis Waggoner says:

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!