Search for Fourth R articles by author using the index below. Looking for an index by issue? Find it here.
- Wine and Humor at Cana 5-6
- Historical Problems in the Resurrection Narratives 31-6
- Book Review: The Life of Saint Teresa of Avila: A Biography 33-3
Arav, Rami and John J. Rousseau
- Elusive Bethsaida Recovered 4-1
Arnal, William E.
- Just how radical were the first followers of Jesus? Q and the Use of Jesus’ Sayings 23-3
- Review of Paula Fredriksen, Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews 14-2
- A Case for Theological Realism 31-1
- No Need to Abandon a Realist, Theistic Conception of God 29-2
Barr, David L.
Bater, Robert B.
- Odyssey: Being There 9-3–4
- Communal Care and the Growth of Early Christianity 18-4
BeDuhn, Jason David
- Marcion, Forgotten Church Father and Inventor of the New Testament 27-5
Bessler, Joseph A.
- Reading Lloyd Geering: Fifty Years after the Heresy Trial 28-5
- Religion: Mend It, Don't End It — A Review of Sam Harris, The End of Faith 18-6
- Reflection on Borg's The God We Never Knew 29-1
- The Seminar on God and the Human Future: A Report on the 2016 Spring Meeting 29-3
- Why the First Quest for the Historical Jesus? 26-3
- Why I Wrote A Scandalous Jesus 26-5
Beutner, Edward F.
- The Art of Translation: Traduttore Traditore, Translators and Traitors 3-1
- The Burglar Who Makes Appointments 17-6
- Comedy with a Tragic Turn: The Dishonest Manager 16-2
- How Jesus Took the gist from Liturgist 12-3
- Jesus after Hamlet 16-1
- JFK: A Moving Picture 5-1
- The 'Lust' Temptation of Christ 2-2
Borg, Marcus J.
- Christ the Man Update: The Toronto Report 3-1
- Jesus and the Buddha 10-6
- Jesus Seminar at Work: Making the Bible an Open Book 7-6
- Jesus Seminar at Work: The Making of The Five Gospels 7-5
- Jesus: A Sketch 7-3
- Odyssey: Me and Jesus—The Journey Home 6-4
- Portraits of Jesus: Albert Schweitzer's View on Jesus and the End of the World 3-3
- Portraits of Jesus: David Friedrich Strauss: Miracle and Myth 4-3
- Portraits of Jesus: Reimarus and the Beginning of the Quest 4-6
- The Treasure in Earthen Vessels 3-4
- What Defiles Us? 29-1
- Evolution, Monotheism, and Violence 17-6
- Review of John J. Collins, Does the Bible Justify Violence? 18-2
- The Mystical Gospel of Mark: Part One 25-6
- The Mystical Gospel of Mark: Part Two 26-1
Butcher, John Beverly
- Letter to the Editor: The Church of the Open Canon Exists 5-6
- Seeking the Wisdom of Jesus 16-4
Butts, James R.
- Scholars Version: A New Translation 2-2
Cadwallader, Alan H.
- When “Word” is not enough: The Syrophoenician encounter with Jesus (Mark 7:24–30) 25-5
Caputo, John D.
Carter, David F.
- The Passing Scene: National Bible Week 2-6
- Three Seminars with a Common Goal 3-4
Carter, Richard J.
- Marcus Borg: A Layperson's View of His Life & Work 29-1
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Meets John Calvin 5-2
Chancey, Mark A.
- Bible Courses, Public Education, and the Law 23-4
- Odyssey: Finding a Way 7-5
- Response to Verhoeven: Escaping the Sterile 4-1
- The Two Burial Stories in the Gospel of John 31-6
Cook, Harry T.
- Heresy—Or Not 29-3
- The Humanist’s Goal Is Becoming Human 27-6
Cook, Michael J.
- Jews and “Gospel Dynamics”: Why advice by ancient sages is no longer sage advice 22-2
Corley, Kathleen E.
- Jesus, Mary Magdalene and Salome 7-5
- Bad History and Bad Theology — A Review of Gibson’s The Passion of the Christ 17-1
- The Not-So-Great Debate 12-1
- Jesus' Resurrection as a Cultural Reality 26-2
- An Appreciative, though Critical, Response 26-2
- Why the Jesus Seminar Needs the God Seminar 31-2
- What’s Wrong with Classical Theism? 32-4
Crosby, Donald A.
Crossan, John Dominic
- Early Christian Feminism: The Untold Story 3-3
- From Abba-Cry to Father-Prayer 28-2
- It's the Theology: In Memory of Marcus J. Borg (1942–2015) 29-1
- Odyssey: Almost the Whole Truth 6-5
- The Passion Narrative 9-5–6
- Portraits of Jesus: Jesus as a Mediterranean Jewish Peasant 4-2
- Christianity after the Church 13-6
- Eschatology, Globalized and Personalized 29-5
- Statement in anticipation of Spring 2004 meeting 16-1
- The Wandering Philosopher 14-1
- Christianity Seminar: A Report on the 2016 Spring Meeting 29-3
Daniels, Jon B.
- Why the Secret Gospel of Mark is Not a Fraud 21-6
Davies, Stevan L.
- Whom Jesus Healed and How 6-2
Dewey, Arthur J.
Dewey, Arthur J. and Robert W. Funk
- Mark and Street Lingo 3-5
- Marcus J. Borg: Jesus 29-1
- Response to Lloyd Geering 32-3
Duling, Dennis C.
- Valentinus and His School: What Might Have Been 22-6
- Review of Adele Reinhartz, Jesus of Hollywood 21-6
- Review of Jonathan L. Reed, The HarperCollins Visual Guide to the New Testament 21-4
- Socratizing Paul: The Portrait of Paul in Acts 22-6
- The Jesus Seminar: Work in Progress 5-6
Elliott, John H.
- The Social Facets Toronto Agenda 2-4
Elliott, Susan (Elli)
- Born How? A Sermon on John 3:1–21 23-6
- Gladiators and Martyrs 29-5
- Pseudo-Scholarship Illustrated: Was the “Original Jesus” a Pagan God? 24-3
- Which Came First, the Rhetoric or the Message?: A Response to Nina E. Livesey 31-2
- Wrestling with the Cross: A Sermon 17-4
Endres, John C., S. J., et al.
- Duplicate Histories: A New Study Instrument for the Hebrew Bible 3-3
- Review of Dennis R. MacDonald, Mythologizing Jesus: From Jewish Teacher to Epic Hero 29-2
- Is God Real?: A Linguistic View 30-3
Ford, Richard Q.
- Economic Warfare and Ethnic Intolerance: Two Parables of Jesus 30-5
- Jesus’ Parable of the Dishonest Steward and America’s War in Afghanistan 25-3
- Jesus’ Parable of the Unforgiving Slave and the Wall Street Crisis of 2008 24-3
- Jesus’ Parable of the Vineyard Workers and U.S. Policy on Iraqi Oil 22-4
- A Response to Robert Miller’s Analysis of the Parable "The Pharisee and the Toll Collector" 30-1
- The Parable of the Unjust Judge, The Book of Revelation, and the Denial of Climate Breakdown - Part I 32-2
- The Parable of the Unjust Judge, The Book of Revelation, and the Denial of Climate Breakdown - Part II 32-3
Fortna, Robert T.
- The Gospel of John and the Historical Jesus 8:5-6
- The Codex of the Gospel of Jesus 14-2
Funk, Robert W.
- Obituary 18-5
- Testimonials 18-6
- Life & Legacy 19-2
- A Few Good People 15-3
- An Advocate for Religious Literacy 2-5
- Bookshelf: The Resurrection of Jesus 8-1
- Call for a Canon Council 6-3
- The Coming Radical Reformation 11-4
- Criteria for Determining the Authentic Sayings of Jesus 3-6
- Demons: Identity and Worldview 5-3
- Don't Look for Jesus on Clouds of Glory 2-3
- Do the Gospels Contain Eyewitness Reports? 17-2
- The Emerging Jesus 2-6
- The Four-Year Political Circus: Can You Fool All the People All the Time? 5-4
- From the Publisher: Tongues of the Wise 6-6
- God and the Emperor in Waco 6-3
- The Gospel of Jesus and the Jesus of the Gospels 6-6
- Hansel and Gretel, The Lone Ranger, and The Lord of the Rings 5-5
- How Jesus Became God 4-6
- The Jesus Seminar on the Road in New Zealand 11-5
- In the Heart of America: Redeemer Figures and Mythic Spaces 3-4
- The Incredible Creed 10-3–4
- Jesus and the Apocalypse 5-2
- Jesus as Itinerant Sage: True or False 14-2
- The Jesus That Was 5-6
- The Lord's Prayer: Does It Go Back to Jesus? 2-1
- Milestones in the Quest for the Historical Jesus 14-4 (reprinted in part in 26-6)
- A New Blass-Debrunner-Funk 2-5
- Profiles of Jesus: A Protocol 8-5–6
- Profiles of Jesus: Jesus of Nazareth—A Glimpse 9-1–2
- Report: Jesus Seminar—Healings Spring 1993 voting results 6-2
- Review of Richard Holloway, Godless Morality 15-4
- The Resurrection of Jesus: Reports and Stories 7-4
- Rewards are Intrinsic 15-2
- Rules of Oral Evidence: Determining the Authentic Sayings of Jesus 4-2
- Scholars Version: Calling a Spade a Spade 3-5
- Scholars Version: Translator's Guidelines 2-5
- The Sunday Morning Experience: A Codicil to Robert Price 16-6
- Time Marches On, Part 1 2-2
- Time Marches On, Part 2 2-3
- Translation Notes 4-3
- Twenty-one Theses and Notes 11-4
- A War of Worlds 14-5
- What Books Belong to the Bible? 2-5
- What Jesus Is Emerging? 2-4
- Where Have All the Students Gone? 3-2
Funk, Robert W. and Dewey, Arthur J.
- Mark and Street Lingo 3-5
Funk, Robert W. and the Jesus Seminar
- The First Storytellers 11-2
- Demoting Jesus: On Returning his Humanity 25-5
- Historical Jesus and the New Nicaea 15-3
- An Interview with Raheel Raza 27-5
- Postmodernism, the Historical Jesus, and the Church 18-5
- A Reply to Robert M. Price, "Lamps unto Yourselves" 27-2
- The Seminar on God and the Human Future: A Report on the Fall 2014 Meeting 28-3
- Tillich and God in Atlanta: A Report on the 2015 Fall Meeting 29-2
- Troubling Times for God: Nominalist Challenges for a Seminar and a Culture 28-6
- Westar in New Zealand and Australia 28-6
- Where is Fundamentalism Leading Us? 16-3
- Who Cares Who Said?: The Question of Myth and Religion 27-2
- Why I Wrote Embracing the Human Jesus 25-6
- Book Review - Seven Types of Atheism 32-5
- The Twin Engines of Social Change: New Knowledge and Technology 25-4
Griffin, Douglas L.
- The Discipline of Doubt as Gateway to Faith 31-3
Gunney, Lynn Tuttle
- Justice versus Mercy in the Hebrew Bible 31-2
Hall, David W.
- The Seminar on God and the Human Future - A Report on the 2019 Spring Meeting 32-4
- Amazing Grace Redux 32-6
- “He Made It Up” 24-2
- Reply to Sea Raven 24-6
- Review of Lloyd Geering, Reimagining God: The Faith Journey of a Modern Heretic 28-5
- Yes We Can 25-1
- Jesus and Family Values 6-1
Hearon, Holly E.
- Searching for Mary Magdalene 22-2
Hedrick, Charles W.
- The Basic Problem of Historical Jesus Studies: Criticism is to make judgments in light of evidence 28-1
- Bird Droppings and Religious Faith 22-4
- Blind Alleys and Turning Corners: A Response to Robert Miller’s“The Pharisee and the Toll Collector” 30-1
- The Church’s Gospel and the Idiom of Jesus 30-4
- The Decline of Public Miracles 23-5
- Does Prayer Work—Like Magic? 23-6
- Four Shibboleths of Southern Baptist Orthodoxy 4-3
- Gnosticism: The Religion of the Alien God 3-6
- Halloween: Do the Dead Walk? 25-1
- How relevant is the Christian worldview today? 28-3
- Is belief in the divinity of Jesus essential to being Christian? 24-5
- Is the Bible the Word of God? 29-3 29-4 29-5
- Making Oxen Out of Unicorns 18-4
- Myth and Mystery - Profiling the Early Christian Mind 32-5
- (Mis)Using the Bible in Arguments against Abortion 22-3
- The Problem with Symbols is . . . 21-6
- Putting Paul in His Place 31-1
- Reading Scripture out of Context and God's "Plan of Salvation" 26-2
- The Recovery of a New Ancient Gospel 12-2
- Satyrs or Wild Goats? The Politics of Translating the Bible 25-6
- Secret Mark: New Photographs, New Witnesses 13-5
- Visions, Apparitions, and Other Divine Visitations 22-6
- Where Does Evil Come From? 26-4
- Yahweh—the God who changed his ways 27-3
- Early Christian Confessions and the Language of Faith 32-1
- Fear, Civic Life, and the Divine Domain: Addressing the Shadow Sides of Contemporary Culture 23-3
- Was Jesus Green 15-5
Jackson, Glenna S.
- The Woman with the Empty Jar (Thomas 97 and Africa) 33-3
Hills, Julian V.
- The Creed: A Pledge of Allegiance 4-2
- Religion without God: The Way of Religious Naturalism 27-3
- Book Review - Big Bang, Big God and A Universe Designed for Life? 32-3
- Charge to the Edinburgh Synod 13-6
Hoover, Roy W.
- Answering the Critics 8-5–6
- The Clash of Civilizations 14-5
- Folio Bible: Centurions in the Lukan Writings 3-1
- Folio Bible: Introduction to Sample Pages 3-1
- A Gift of Christmas Clarity 10-6
- How the Canon Was Formed 5-1
- Identifying Interpolations in Paul’s Letters 24-5
- Profiles of Jesus: The Jesus of History—A Profile in Courage 9-3–4
- Review of John Shelby Spong, Jesus for the Non-Religious: Recovering the Divine at the Heart of the Human 23-3
- Response to Verhoeven: Jesus, A Wily Political Operative? 4-1
- The Search for the Authentic Words of Jesus 7-1
- Tradition and Faith in a New Era 17-1
- Translating Paul's Jargon 18-1
- The Work of the Jesus Seminar 9-5–6
- Was Jesus’ Resurrection an Historical Event? A Debate Statement with Commentary 23-5
- Toward a Strategy for an Enlightened Faith 33-3
- A Response to Christopher D. Rodkey 33-3
Hoover, Roy W. et al.
- Folio Bible: The Centurion at Capernaum- Luke 7-1