Jesus Seminars on the Road
Westar’s regional programs, called Jesus Seminars on the Road (JSOR), bring Westar Fellows into conversation with interested non-specialists across North America. Led by Westar Fellows, these regional programs address significant issues in current biblical and theological research and scholarship. These programs are locally hosted, and any community group can host a JSOR. Explore the JSOR course catalog for a sampling of available topics.
JSOR topics have included:
- Jesus of Nazareth: Savior, Lord, or Wisdom Teacher?
- Archaeology & the Origins of Christianity
- What Did Jesus Really Say and Do?
- Women and the New Testament
- Jesus in the First and Twenty-first Centuries
- Peter, Paul, and Mary: Three Early Christian Voices
- The Fifth Gospel: The Gospel of Thomas and the Wisdom of Jesus
- The Growth of Early Christianity: Orthodoxy & Heresy
- The Parables of Jesus
- Homosexuality and Marriage in the Bible: The Use and Abuse of Scripture
The program usually comprises a Friday evening lecture and four hours of presentations and discussions on Saturday. Programs are usually held in churches and often jointly sponsored by churches of various denominations. However, Westar is not affiliated with any religious institution and does not advocate a particular theological point of view.