Associate Editor of Academic Books, Intervarsity Press
David W. Congdon specializes in theology, philosophy, ethics, psychology, and arts & literature. A member of several professional organizations including the International Bonhoeffer Society and the Karl Bart Society of North America, he has published and contributed to a wide range of books, articles and reviews, including The Mission of Demythologizing: Rudolf Bultmann's Dialectical Theology (Fortress, forthcoming 2015).
- Bultmann: A Guide for the Perplexed (Bloomsbury/T&T Clark, forthcoming)
- Reading Bultmann: An Introduction to His Theology and Hermeneutics (Cascade, forthcoming)
- The God Who Saves: A Dogmatic Sketch (Cascade, forthcoming)
- The Mission of Demythologizing: Rudolf Bultmann's Dialectical Theology (Fortress, forthcoming 2015)
- Editor, The Karl Barth - Rudolf Bultmann Debate: Texts and Commentary (Cascade, forthcoming)
- Editor, Will Everyone Be Saved? Five Views on Christian Universalism (Baker Academic, forthcoming)
- Contributor & co-editor with W. Travis McMaken, Karl Bart in Conversation (Pickwick, 2014)
- Contributor, T&T Clark Companion to the Atonement (forthcoming 2015)
- Contributor, Karl Barth's Trip to America: A Celebration of the Fiftieth Anniversary of Evangelical Theology (forthcoming 2015)
- Contributor, Indicative of Grace - Imperative of Freedom: Essays in Honour of Eberhard Jüngel in His 80th Year (T&T Clark, 2014)
- Contributor, Apocalyptic and the Future of Theology: With and Beyond J. Louis Martyn (Cascade, 2012)
- Contributor, The Sacred Text: Excavating the Texts, Exploring the Interpretations, and Engaging the Theologies of Christian Scriptures (Gorgias, 2010)
- “Apokatastasis and Apostolicity: A Response to Oliver Crisp on the Question of Barth’s Universalism.” Scottish Journal of Theology 67, no. 4 (2014): 464–480.
- “Dialectical Theology as Theology of Mission: Investigating the Origins of Karl Barth’s Break with Liberalism.” International Journal of Systematic Theology 16, no. 4 (2014): 390–413.
- “Kerygma and Community: A Response to R. W. L. Moberly’s Revisiting of Bultmann.” Journal of Theological Interpretation 8, no. 1 (2014): 1–21.
- “Bonhoeffer and Bultmann: Toward an Apocalyptic Rapprochement.” International Journal of Systematic Theology 15, no. 2 (2013): 172–195.
- “Reconsidering Apocalyptic Cinema: Pauline Apocalyptic and Paul Thomas Anderson.” Journal of Religion and Popular Culture 24, no. 3 (2012): 405–418.
- “Creatio Continua ex Electione: A Post-Barthian Revision of the Doctrine of Creatio ex Nihilo.” Koinonia 22 (2010): 33–53.
- “‘A Beautiful Anarchy’: Religion, Fascism, and Violence in the Theopolitical Imagination of Guillermo del Toro” and “Secular Parables of the Truth: A Reply to Jenson and Lubeck.” Cultural Encounters 6, no. 2 (2010): 43–67, 77–83.
- “Jesus and Faith: The Doctrine of Faith in Scripture and the Reformed Confessions.” Journal of Reformed Theology 3 (2009): 321–344.
- “The Trinitarian Shape of ΠΙΣΤΙΣ: A Theological Exegesis of Galatians.” Journal of Theological Interpretation 2, no. 2 (2008): 231–258.
- Ph.D., Systematic Theology, Princeton Theological Seminary
- M.Div., Princeton Theological Seminary
- B.A., English Literature, Wheaton College
- American Academy of Religion, 2006–
- Karl Barth Society of North America, 2010–
- International Bonhoeffer Society, 2010–
- American Society of Missiology, 2013–
- Teaching Fellow, Princeton Theological Seminary, 2010–2012
- Lecturer in Religion, Princeton Theological Seminary, 2011