- Review your will, checking for any updates that may need to be made because of a change in your life (or a beneficiary's life) or a change in tax law. This is also an opportunity to add a bequest for Westar and become part of the John Dillenberger Heritage Society.
- Check that the executor you've named is still the qualified individual you want to manage your estate, resolve claims, minimize tax liability, and distribute the designated portions of your estate to your chosen beneficiaries.
- Be sure you're comfortable with the guardian named in your will for those under
your care. If your dependents are now grown, you may no longer need to list a guardian.
- Update beneficiaries designated for your insurance and retirement plans to make sure you haven’t named a deceased loved one or former spouse.
- Make sure the titles for your assets reflect your current circumstances and wishes, so they go to the people and organizations you intend.
- Implement a plan that minimizes taxes. That’s where a bequest to Westar might be particularly helpful!
- Include in your estate plan a health care power of attorney to guide your family and health care providers when you are unable to make decisions for yourself.
Contact Westar to discuss planned giving »