Professor Emeritus of Religious Studies
Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas
Joseph B. Tyson is Professor Emeritus of Religious Studies at Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas, where he taught from 1958-1998. The author and editor of a number of books on Luke-Acts, he was a member of Westar Institute’s Acts Seminar and served as chair of the Group on Acts in the Society of Biblical Literature for several years.
- Acts and Christian Beginnings: The Acts Seminar Report (Salem, OR: Polebridge, 2013)
- Marcion and Luke-Acts: A Defining Struggle (Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, 2006)
- Luke, Judaism, and the Scholars: Critical Approaches to Luke-Acts (Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, 1999).
- Images of Judaism in Luke-Acts (Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, 1992).
- Editor, with Mikeal Parsons, Cadbury, Knox, and Talbert: Luke-Acts in the Twentieth Century (Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1992).
- Editor, Luke-Acts and the Jewish People: Eight Critical Perspectives (Minneapolis: Augsburg Fortress, 1988).
- The Death of Jesus in Luke-Acts (Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, 1986).
- Editor, with Arthur J. Bellinzoni, Jr., and William O. Walker, Jr., The Two Source Hypothesis: A Critical Appraisal (Macon: Mercer University Press, 1985).
- The New Testament and Early Christianity (New York: Macmillan Publishing Co., 1984).
- With T. R. W. Longstaff, Synoptic Abstract (Wooster, OH: Biblical Research Associates, 1978).
- A Study of Early Christianity (New York: Macmillan, 1973).
- B.A., Duke University
- B D., Duke Divinity School
- S T M., Union Theological Seminary, New York
- Ph D., Union Theological Seminary, New York
- Professor of Religious Studies, 1975-1998
- Associate Professor of Religious Studies, 1965-1974
- Assistant Professor of Religion, 1960-1965
- Instructor of Religion, SMU, 1958-1960
- Chair, Christian Scholars Group on Christian-Jewish Relations, 2002-2005
- President, Society of Biblical Literature, Southwest Region, 2003-2004
- Program Unit Chairperson, Group on Acts, Society of Biblical Literature, 1986-1990
- President, Southwest Region, American Academy of Religion, 1968-1969
- Chair ad interim, Fall, 1996
- Chair, Department of Religious Studies, 1965-1975; 1986-1993
Awards and Honors
- Southern Methodist University Scholar/Teacher of the Year, 1996-1997
- John G. Gammie Senior Lectureship Award, 1993-1994. The award is given annually by the Southwest Commission on Religious Studies and obligates the recipient to present lectures at participating institutions in the U. S. Southwest.