Gould H. and Marie Cloud Professorship in Religious Studies
Austin College, Sherman, Texas
Todd Penner is Associate Professor of Religion at Austin College in Sherman, Texas. He is the author of two books, The Epistle of James and Eschatology: Rereading an Ancient Christian Letter (1996) and In Praise of Christian Origins: Stephen and the Hellenists in Lukan Apologetic Historiography (2004). His interests include Second Temple Jewish Texts and Socio-Cultural Environments; Greco-Roman Backgrounds to Early Christianity; and narrative, identity and gender construction in the Ancient World, among others.
Penner has a Ph.D. in New Testament and Christian Origins from Emory University where he was an adjunct faculty member prior to moving to Austin College. He has two B.A.s, one from Providence College, the other in Religious Studies from the University of Winnipeg, and an M.A. in Religion from the University of Manitoba.
Penner is the recipient of several awards and honors, including the Austin College Faculty Research Award (2001, 2006), a National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Research Grant (2003), and the Millicent C. McIntosh Fellowship, awarded by the Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation (2006–2007).
He is currently working on several books: Socio-Rhetorical Commentary on Acts, Myth of Origins: The Quest for James and the History of the Early Jerusalem Church (with Jesus Seminar Fellow Milton Moreland) and A Gender-Critical Approach to Early Christian Literature (with Caroline Vander Stichele of the University of Amsterdam).
- In Praise of Christian Origins: Stephen and the Hellenists in Lukan Apologetic Historiography, 2004
- The Epistle of James and Eschatology: Rereading an Ancient Christian Letter, 1996
- Ph.D., Emory University
- M. A., University of Manitoba
- B. A., University of Winnipeg
- B. A., Providence College
- Associate Professor, Austin College, 2005–
- Gould H. and Marie Cloud Professorship in Religious Studies, Austin College, 2005–
- Chair, Department of Religious Studies, Austin College, 2006–
- Director, Gender Studies Program, Austin College, 2004–
- Assistant Professor, Austin College, 1999–2005
- Adjunct Faculty, Emory University College, 1997–1999
- Adjunct Faculty, Candler School of Theology, Emory University, 1995–96
- Book Review Editor, Journal of Biblical Literature, 2001–2003
- Associate Book Review Editor, 2004–2006
- Peer-reviewer for Society of Biblical Literature Dissertation Series
- Peer-review of articles for Journal of Biblical Literature; Studies in Religion/ Sciences religieuses; Teaching Theology and Religion; and Bible and Critical Theory Journal.
- Academic Research Evaluations for Carleton University (Ottawa); and National Research Foundation/NRF (South Africa).
- Steering Committee for Rhetoric and New Testament section, annual SBL meeting unit (2005-); and steering committee for Teaching Biblical Studies in Liberal Arts Colleges (2006–).
Awards and Honors
- Dean’s Teaching Fellowship, Emory University, 1997–1998
- Graduate Fellowship, Emory University, 1993–1997
- SSHRCC Doctoral Fellowship, Emory University, 1994–1996
- Duff Roblin Fellowship, University of Manitoba, 1989–1991
- Donald Vernon Snider Memorial Scholarship, University of Manitoba, 1989